Monday, April 1, 2013

Despite what it seems...I have cooked in March!

So I realize that my last couple posts have not been focused on food that much. This is mainly due to the fact that I haven't used any new recipes and have had to use the rest of the food in the freezer/pantry before I can buy new stuff. So some of these recipes I have used before, and therefore have not included pictures, but this week we got a new Cooking Light and used all new recipes. So if you really detest reading this, skip to the end for the new recipes. If you're sticking with it though, read on!

This post picks up March 3, when I made herbed chicken for Parissa while she was here. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture, but I have made it before. Monday I made tortellini with homemade sauce. It was the first time I have ever made homemade sauce, because I am zero percent Italian. It was not bad, kind of spicy and very garlic-y, but still edible. 


Tuesday I made glazed ham. The glaze was just apple juice, brown sugar, and dijon mustard. And mashed potatoes, which were clearly too dry. Just look at the picture. 

Wednesday I made buttermilk chicken. Oh man this stuff is so good, the breading tastes like chick fil a, but it's actually healthy! We tried some curry couscous with the chicken, and all we can say is that we don't recommend it. Blech. 
Thursday we used up the rest of the buttermilk and made brined pork chops. They sat in the brine overnight and were pretty tasty. We also used the rest of the french fries in our fridge. 

Friday I didn't eat dinner because I went to my first Bikram yoga class with my friend. She told us not to eat 2 hours before the class, and I didn't want to puke in the middle of it. I sweated like a pig, but it was a lot of fun, although I discovered I am not very flexible, and I should probably stick to yoga in a room where it isn't 105 degrees. Saturday I had my parents over for dinner since my Dad was leaving for Hong Kong the next day. I made "fried" chicken (again, covered in a previous post, so no pictures). That night we finally watched Argo. Can you say "pity Oscar?" And on Sunday I had a fundraising event for the West Side Pussy Project, so we both are barbeque at Fat Bobs. 

Monday started by gym membership! I've been going spinning 2 days a week, a total body pump class on Friday, and doing free weights and treadmill another day. It's been going well so far, which is surprising since I have to get up at 5:30 to get to spinning. So to kick off my first gym day, we had hamburgers. Ryan has about 40 in the fridge, and in our desperate attempt to clean house, we ate some nasty frozen patties. Tuesday Ryan made chicken and artichoke pizza. We forgot to take a picture, but I am making it again this week so I promise to get a picture up here soon. Wednesday my photography skills once again crapped the bed, but we had smothered pork chops. I will make a mental note to repeat this recipe so I can get a picture. Thursday we met with a relator because we're looking to buy a house soon, so I had a leftover half sandwich from lunch. On Friday we had another fish dinner at my family's house. And on Saturday we had dinner with Ryan's parents. So basically, I have one picture this entire week. Oops. 


Sunday I made braised beef, a sure-fire tasty recipe. We are still looking for the right cut of beef that falls apart perfectly and that isn't too expensive, but we're close. 

Monday I made pea, leek, and bacon risotto. Ryan decided to add some shrimp into his. 




Tuesday we used the rest of the ham and made reubens. 
Wednesday I made chicken parmesan and pasta with a salad. The chicken was pretty plain, but I guess that's the only way to make chicken parm the healthy way. Check out Ryan's awesome dressing pour. 



Thursday we had pulled pork sandwiches with a pork tenderlion. The sauce is really jut tomatoes but it was decent tasting. Friday we had another family fish fry. I promise, lent is over now, so we will start cooking dinner ourselves on Friday!
Saturday we had more lobster ravioli. The healthy white sauce we made with it got a little too thick, but it still tasted ok. Sunday my mom invited us over, so we had dinner there. 

 And this Monday began our week of new recipes! Our fridge is cleaned out, freezer empty, pantry-well we're working on that, but there was a little space we could fill. Monday we had BBQ turkey meatballs with mashed potatoes. Ryan loved them. 
 Tuesday I made soy marinated pork sandwiches. Ryan did some research, and it seems this is Cooking Light's healthy take on the traditional Vietnemese sandwich Banh Mi. I'd put the link in here but y'all can just open another tab and google it. It was not bad, not as spicy as I expected, which is good for me since spicy foods and my stomach don't like each other. 
 Wednesday we had pepper caramel shrimp, which was quite tasty, but contained a little too much pepper for my liking. 
Thursday we make teriyaki chicken with some leftover noodles that kept falling behind the lazy susan and causing me to bend in all sorts of ways to reach back to grab it. The noodles got a little sticky when I stir fried them, but we both ate it. 
 Saturday we made Buffalo chicken salad. I did not put the sauce on my chicken (again, too spicy), but I took a picture of Ryan's plate. He loved it, and mine was good as well, even without the hot sauce. 

Well there you have it. A month of meals in one post. I'm trying more new recipes this week so I will make sure to post at the end of this week. 
And one final note, my dog turned 9 today, and I celebrate 4 years of having him with me. He's such a sweet heart, and I hope to have at least 4 more years with my little guy. I'll also have to post the story of how I got him one day, but that's for a different time. 






No comments:

Post a Comment