Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A partial week of meals

As promised, this post will be strictly about food. Here goes:

Friday I went to lunch with my friends I've known from middle school. For dinner we had something called Mai Fun. It was a take on Thai and Vietnamese food. The recipe called for chicken and shrimp, but we omitted the chicken. Basically it was noodles (we saved money and used spaghetti noodles instead of the specialty Chinese ones the recipe called for), an egg, red pepper, and a soy sauce and spice combo. We thought it was pretty good. 


Saturday we went to my work party. There were snacks there so we had that for dinner. Veggies, meatballs, chips and some chicken tenders. And martinis. Lots of martinis. And shots. I had a few too many. Ryan wanted to go to Applebees to use our gift certificate we got for Christmas and expires soon, but I was much too tipsy to sit down for dinner. We went home and my brother and his girlfriend came over and we watched Jurassic Park (my favorite movie ever-we even played the music at our wedding ceremony-in a church!). Sunday morning was rough. 

Sunday we did a crock pot recipe for Orange Hoisin chicken. I've found that all chicken crock pot recipes that about half the time in my pot than the recipe says, even if we don't cut the recipe in half. This one only took a couple hours to cook, instead of the 5-6 the recipe directed. 


We went to our friends new house to watch the football game and left the chicken on warm while we were gone. Add some glazed carrots and brown rice and it turned out pretty good. The chicken was just slightly overcooked but that was most certainly a user error. 

Monday I was superrrr late from work. We got not one, but two, last minute emergencies. Try lifting that on to the x-ray table by yourself. Turns out, the owner declined surgery, so instead of being 3 hours late, I was only 1.5. Side note, the dog survived, but only one of her four unborn puppies made it through, for a total of 7 surviving pups. 

Ryan did most of the cooking Monday. It was maple glazed salmon. First, the fish was rubbed with a spice concoction and brushed with maple syrup right before it comes out of the oven. I was going to just use the leftover rice from the night before, but I accidentally poured the hoisin sauce over it. So I cooked up some pasta instead. Instead of tossing it with butter, I used butter spray, which is zero calories. Ryan wanted his was pasta sauce though. Our broccoli was just about to go bad but I made it anyway, and it tasted just fine. 

Tonight, Ryan is working late, but his work ordered dinner for him. I made myself a salad from one my my new cookbooks I got for Christmas. It is supposed to be a healthy version of a Waldorf salad. I was skeptical at first because there is no "salad," rather just celery, apples, toasted pecans, and dressing consisting of sugar, vinegar, and sour cream. It sounded disgusting but wasn't too bad. I added crumbled bacon to mine because the entire salad was only 98 calories. I decided to splurge a bit, and, I was also able to eat the leftover apples with peanut butter for a snack later in the night. One of my favorite things though, was how many dishes it took to make this. The second picture is all I had to wash. It took less than 2 minutes to do the dishes!


Stay tuned, the rest of the week includes sandwiches, pork, another salad, and "fried" chicken. Plus, we're going to a knife class, which will hopefully improve my kitchen skills. 




No comments:

Post a Comment