Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Flu has struck the Henesey's

My last post promised great things. Wonderful things. Incredible things. I didn't deliver. Why, you may ask? Well, it's because I got the flu. Yep, I'm one of the 22,000 New Yorker's who came down with the bug last week. I started feeling bad on Friday, and by Sunday it was a full-blown mess: fever, aches, runny nose, coughing so bad I had a headache and felt like I was going to vomit. And to top it off, I had no appetite, which makes keeping the blog pretty difficult. And after all that, I only lost two pounds! What the fridge. Here's a recap of our week:

Wednesday I still felt good so I made pork with pomegranate sauce. We had it with couscous and a salad. The recipe calls for straight pomegranate juice, which is outrageously expensive. I just used pom-grape juice made by Ocean spray (price difference: $4.50). I thought the sauce was wonderfully delicious. I was afraid it would be too sweet since I didn't buy the juice the recipe called for, but we both loved it.
 The pork up close...so yummy

Our full meal, salad included. This is the Autumn toss salad. 

Thursday we went to our knife class. I am certain this is where I got sick, although my family insists it's just airborne illness. I had a small slice of lasagna at my mom's before I went to the class. We actually made a small dinner of soup and a salad at the class-they used what we cut to put in both. 
As far as the class goes, it was very informative. I finally learned how to properly hold and use a knife without slicing my fingers off. My only complaint was that we only learned how to cut vegetables-specifically celery, peppers, carrots, onions, and parsley. I would have really liked to learn how to cut fruits properly-stuff like mangoes, pineapples, etc. I also would have liked to learn how to properly cut meat. I am still fearful of buying a whole chicken because I a. don't know how to clean it, and b. have no idea how to cut it up to serve without it looking like a caveman prepared the meal. And obviously my last complaint was that no one wore gloves, and the food everyone in the class cut (about 15 total people) went in to the entire salad and soup we all shared. Seems kinda gross, right? Oh, well, you live and learn. And I learned I'm getting a flu shot next year. 

I brought my camera in anticipation to take all these cool pictures...and forgot. I suck. 

Friday, as I mentioned, was the beginning of my "I feel like death" week. By dinnertime, I had no appetite at all. Ryan got me a can of nice, chunky chicken noodle soup, but I wasn't even hungry for that. I went to bed without eating, and Ryan got himself a $6 meal from Wegmans. I think he got meatloaf, sweet potato fries, and spaghetti. Luckily, he did not eat all of this in one sitting.

Saturday I had to work, and again not feeling well, we decided to go out to eat. Mainly because Ryan was hungry and was probably sick of being stuck inside with me. We got a gift certificate for Applebee's so we headed there around 5pm. There was still a half hour wait! We are definitely NOT chain restaurant people, and to this day we can't understand why so many people like these places. Buffalo has so many wonderful locally owned restaurants that there is absolutely no need to eat mediocre food  at a place that has more knick knacks than a jockey lot. I had a sandwich, which I managed to eat half of, and Ryan had shrimp fettuccine, and he brought half of his home as well. 

Sunday I think I was delirious. I don't remember cooking this. I am told it was a chicken salad BLT. I do not remember what it tasted like. Ryan later reminded me I confused a teaspoon with a tablespoon, so I imagine it probably wasn't my best meal, but Ryan lovingly choked it down. I had the leftover chicken for lunch today and it was good, but I doubt that testament has anything to do with the rest of the recipe. 

Sunday night I was unable to lay down without coughing to the point of being unable to breathe. I did manage to enjoy the Golden Globes however. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were absolutely hilarious, poking fun at almost everyone in their introduction. I love watching these things on TV, mainly to see what these glamorous people wear, who's dating/married to/pregnant with who's child. And to see how outrageously skinny some celebs (ahem...Anne Hathaway) are and make me want to binge eat. My college friends are bigger movie fanatics than I am (their new blog here,) but they developed an "awards season game." This entails choosing who you think will win for all categories for all three awards (Globes, SAG's, Oscars.) At the end, whoever has the most right wins bragging rights for the year. And in Ryan and my case, dinner at Eastern Pearl. I currently lead with 18/25 correct. Ryan has 8. He thinks I'm cheating. (I'm not). More on that later. 

Monday I made BBQ pulled pork sandwiches. I was skeptical because in the past, bulled pork has taken hours to cook over a slow heat. Raw meat to table ready in an hour seemed unreal. But it ended up being pretty decent. The BBQ sauce was mainly water and tomato paste. Cut a pork tenderloin into 4 pieces and cook in a saucepan with the BBQ sauce for 20 minutes, remove pork and cook 20 more minutes, and ta-da! Pork sammies! I still wasn't all that hungry so I had a couple small bites, mainly in order to take my cough medicine, Benadryl and Hydrocodone (aka flu-cocktail). 





Just look at that pork up close
Ryan had a salad with his. 

Today I knew I had to work late so I planned sandwiches again. Ryan managed to swindle dinner out of his work, so I was on my own. I made a turkey, apple, and swiss melt. Super easy, and no cooking required. I just toasted it on my panini maker. 


Those are sweet potato fries. I probably should have had a salad with it too. I didn't. So shoot me. This is the first food I've tasted in three days. 

I'm really hoping the next week delivers better meals than last. This being sick thing sucks the big one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment