Thursday, January 31, 2013

Why Can't I Sleep???

Ever since we got married, I've noticed that Ryan sleeps like a baby the majority of the time. In the time it takes me to brush my teeth, he can already be dead asleep. How is this possible, I wonder? Is it just the wonder of man genes that allow them to sleep through thunder storms, marching bands, and possibly even a train derailment. My brother was the same way, which supports my theory. I, on the other hand, take about an hour and a half to finally get to sleep, and I can never stay asleep. Last night it was very windy, and that, combined with Oliver trying to bury something in his crate, gave me about 2.5 hours of sleep total. In grad school, I was able to fall asleep relatively quickly. This was mainly due to the fact that I would read my class material in bed. And with such riveting selections such as Herder and Herotodus it was pretty easy to fall asleep after about 3 paragraphs. A real page turner, that Herotodus. Now though, Ryan can't fall asleep with the light on, nor can he fall asleep with the television on. So instead, I stay awake and my mind races with the thoughts of "is the stove turned off?" "I wonder how much money is in my bank account," "is 30 too old to have a baby," and "its raining. Are my windows rolled up?"  Yes, I know I haven't rolled them down since October. I still think there is a possibility my car will be filled with 6 inches of water in the morning. I'm aware this may be indicative of a more deeper psychological problem.  

On to our dinners for the week. Friday I spent most of the day at my parents house while I waited for Ryan's car do be finished at the shop, and i also had an eye doctors appointment. So on Friday, we went out with my parents. I had a fish fry which was pretty good. Saturday Ryan's parents had a gift certificate to use so we went out again (womp womp). I had chicken, spinach and cheese ravioli. So our cooking didn't start until Sunday. I picked up some steaks at the butcher and we just used the grill pan to cook them. I guess I was hoping for something steakhouse quality, so I was a little disappointed. 

Monday I made risotto. I always assumed risotto was a side, so I was very surprised when Ryan told me it is traditionally served as an entire meal. This one had leeks, peas, and bacon in it. It was very good and surprisingly filling. 

Tuesday we had pomegranate pork tenderloin. We decided to repeat since we already had all the ingredients, and it would save money on our grocery bill. I am currently looking for suggestions on how to reduce our weekly bill as it is generally between 60 and 100 dollars. It seems quite a bit for two people but I do understand we spend quite a bit on fresh fruits and vegetables. 

Wednesday I was alone for dinner but I made enough for two and Ryan had it for lunch today. It was a chicken breast stuffed with deli ham and cubed sandwich bread. I was slightly concerned because every tie I try to stuff a breast it goes poorly. This started off bad because the breast wasn't super plump and some of the filling poked through and the chicken tore. i was not optimistic, especially since it all cooked on the stove and did not bake. It turned out really good though. The bread inside was mushy and really made the dish, in my opinion. I sauteed some broccoli to go with it, but I used fresh broccoli when the recipe called for frozen. 


 Here's an up close of the stuffing. It was 1 piece of bread, 1 slice of ham, sage, and olive oil. 

 Thursday Ryan was in charge of dinner and he made pan seared sea bass. I had never had bass before and I can honestly say I am not a fan. It was really oily and fairly flavorless. After Ryan told me it "goes right through ya," I wasn't too keen on eating any more. I politely had a couple bites then asked Ryan if he would take it for lunch tomorrow. 


Since I started working late on Tuesday I really want to try some crock pot recipes, but I always tend to burn crock pot recipes if I leave them in the entire time. One of the doctors I work with says it is because my crock pot is too big, so I may try to look for a smaller one. That way we won't be eating dinner at 8:30 on Tuesdays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment