Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hockey is back!

This was a pretty boring week in the Henesey household. The only real exciting thing is that hockey started again. The Sabres are 2-0 and are playing as I type, so we're hoping for good things this season, even if it isn't a full one. Ryan and I are convinced that Buffalo will burn to the ground if they ever win the Stanley cup or a Super Bowl. Maybe this is the year. As I am typing this, the Sabres are getting scored on.

Back to meals. On Wendesday, we had something called herbed chicken. Basically it was chicken in a wine and butter sauce. It doesn't sound healthy, but we swear, it did come from a healthy eating cookbook, about 350 calories per chicken.
Thursday we had a complicated shuffling of the cars that involved Ryan driving 20 minutes to drop his car off, then having his parents drive him all the way back here. Since his parents were here, and it was 8:30 by the time all was said and done, we ordered a pizza. I had chicken and broccoli. Then, we had the leftovers Friday. 

Saturday we had oven "fried" chicken. The concept of frying in the oven saves tons of calories and fat when you compare it to traditional frying in oil. Basically, you marinate the chicken in buttermilk, bread it (we use Pankow), cook it in a frying pan for about 2 minutes in a small amount of oil, then finish cooking it in the oven. Below are the results. 


Sunday was a busy day for us. We had a mass said for a family member, and after, we hosted a breakfast for my parents and grandparents. It was simple, just french toast, pancakes, bacon, sausage, and fruit, but it was very nice, and it felt good to be cooking so early in the morning. That is, until about 3pm, which is when I really wanted a nap. After breakfast, we whipped up some snacks and went to our friends house to watch the hockey game. We got home and both crashed and took a short nap. We tried something new for dinner: a calzone. I think I overcooked it though. We sometimes buy a dough ball for pizza and such, but I'm not one of those who goes to the grocery store multiple times a week, especially since it's ALWAYS busy and it literally takes 20 minutes to get one thing. So, i bought a Puillsbury artisan wheat pizza dough. Maybe it was because of the dough, but probably because I cooked it too long, but I burnt the 'zone. It tasted okay, but the dough certainly needs work. 


A cross section of a calzone

Monday my mom must have been bored and decided to cook an amazing dinner of turkey and stuffing, her signature potatoes, and "all the fixin's" as our former roommate would have called it. She keeps trying to convince me that I need to cook a whole turkey in preparation for my own Thanksgiving, but we can barely fit six people in our apartment, so I feel confident that I have plenty of time to learn. Turkey is always pretty dry to me, so I'm hoping our thanksgiving traditions can involve steak or something else. 

Tuesday we had salmon with a new glaze made with mustard and it was really good. 


Wednesday we did a homemade pizza with the leftover ingredients of the calzone. I took a before baking picture, and an after. 




Wednesday we did a homemade pizza with the leftover ingredients of the calzone. I took a before baking picture, and an after. My apologies for not rotating the before picture. But it's a pizza, and therefore round, so mathematically speaking, there really isn't a "top side" of a circle. Right?

Today we I had chicken parmesan. Ryan was late at work and had dinner there. It was simply ok. We've tried a few chicken parm recipes. It may be one of those dishes that just tastes nasty as a healthy meal. I had it with some fettuccine and a salad. 


I will try to post more frequently, although once a week doesn't seem like an incredibly long post. I've been reading another blog, jasongood.net and it is absolutely hilarious. He has two young children, and as a humorist and writer, reading about his life is absolutely hilarious. It also convinces me that I am in no way ready for children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment